Saturday, April 29, 2017

Cole's Seed Catalog from Pella, Iowa

Cole's Seed Store, Pella, Iowa

Aart Kool (1814-1892) married Heiltje-Hendrika "Henrietta" de Booy (1824-1901) in Pella, Iowa in 1848. Kool arrived in Pella, Iowa in 1847, with a group of Dutch emmigrants who moved to North America because of discontent over religious and economic matters. Aart KOOL, who farmed near Pella, anglicized the family name to Cole. The couple had a son Charles Nicholas Cole (1848-1947) who gained a reputation as a seedsman in Chicago working for the Vaughn Seed Company & then to New York & to Memphis to work for 2 more seed companies. In 1870, he returned to Pella to establish Cole's Seeds with his wife Etta Kruger Cole (1856-1953). He was joined by his brothers & the business was called Cole Bros Seed Company for several years.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Philadelphian William Henry Maule’s Vegetable Catalog

Henry Maule was born on April 14, 1828 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. & died in 1902. He took over the Philadelphia lumber company established by his father Caleb Maul (1790-1844). Henry's son William Henry Maule (1858-1913), took control of his grandfather's & father’s lumber & seed company in 1882, after partnering with his father for several years. When the father/son seed business originally began in 1877, it originally catered to market gardeners & farmers who supplied local consumers with their fresh vegetables. The world of seed publishing was fascinating to the young businessman & much of his energy went into expanding the seed & bulb end of the business, handing off the lumber-related duties to his brother Charles Price Maule (1856-1920). In 1885, W H Maule came up with the idea of publishing a colorful, beautifully illustrated catalog to showcase the vast variety & quality of his products. In 1889, Maule took it to the next level. Instead of appealing to the distribution of his product to dealers, he would target the common independent farmer, the gardening hobbyist, & anyone who had a mailbox could now become a potential lifelong customer. To entice the general public, Maule would include a packet of free samples with every catalog & offer cash prizes for the largest orders. William Henry Maule Co.'s catalogs often featured farm & field scenes. This idea skyrocketed the seed company into nationwide fame. Maule’s Seeds (later called the William Henry Maule Company) was the 1st in Philadelphia to use this business model & helped make the city into the seed capital of America, causing the spawn of at least a dozen similar outfits. (The Landreth Seed Company was the 1st large seed distributor, having set up shop at 12th & Market in 1784; Burpee Seeds, Maule’s contemporary & competitor, was founded in 1876.) By the time his father died in 1902, William Henry Maule had 560,000 regular customers, distributed over 5 million seed catalogs, given away more than 3 million seed packets, & awarded $30,000 in cash prizes. Over that time, the company had moved to larger & larger quarters. From a rented space on the Delaware riverfront in the 1880s, to a cast iron beauty at 1711 Filbert in the early 1890s, to a 7-story modern office building at 18th & Market at the turn of the 20th Century. The 18th & Market warehouse was named “Maule Building.” Maule eventually set his sights on building a much larger headquarters that would end the need to move every decade. In 1909, Maule acquired a string of properties on the 2100 block of Arch Street & spent the next few years working on what he hoped would be the William Henry Maule Company’s final home. This new $100,000 headquarters would not only house the company’s offices but also warehouse the immense variety of seeds, bulbs, & plants the Maule Company distributed across the country. It would have a footprint measuring 60′ x 111’8″ & rise 8 stories. Construction began in 1912 & was completed by the end of 1913. The building was quite prominent on the skyline at the time, as few other buildings in the immediate area matched its height. On September 6th, 1913, around the same time the new building was about to open, the 55-year-old William Henry Maule died from what was then known as a “stroke of apoplexy,” a term used at the time to describe any number of afflictions that appeared to cause sudden death. Once opened, the new Maule Building would continue William Henry Maule’s business model. New catalogs were published every year for the next 3 decades. Unfortunately, William Henry Maule’s dream of the entire operation running out of this one building didn’t last. By the end of the 1920s, the Maule Company moved out of the Maule Building & leased office & warehouse space at the Nicetown home of the W. A. Burpee Company, a competitor whose progenitor, W. Atlee Burpee, had partnered with William Henry Maule’s father, when the Maule Lumber Company 1st expanded to include seeds. Burpee had already surpassed the Maule Company’s success in 1915. In 1946, the Maule Company sold 2100 Arch Street for $145,000 & used the money to purchase a new office/warehouse in Clinton, Iowa, creating a second distribution point for all deliveries west of Ohio. Despite this major expansion, the company didn’t last. In 1947, the Maule Company merged with the W.A. Burpee Company, with whom they had already been collaborating for about a decade.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

1898 John Salzer Fruit Catalog La Crosse, Wisconsin

A timeline of the life of seedsman, John A. Salzer and the company he created in La Crosse, Wisconsin 

1823 - John Adam Salzer was born in Dettingen, W├╝rttemberg, Germany on December 28, 1823 to John G. Salzer, a nurseryman and fruit-raiser. 
1846 - Immigrated to the United States. 
1849 - Married Wilhelmina Joerris. 
1866 - John Salzer the pastor of the German speaking Methodist Church in La Crosse. He served in this position until 1869. It was reported that he delighted in jaunts into the country, where he could see the fields of grain and fruit trees.
1868 - The "John A. Salzer Seed Company" in La Crosse, Wisconsin is established. 
1884 - "The collection of plants owned by Mr. Salzer is estimated at $20,000 value and the transactions of the house, which reach all over the United States, will amount to over $40,000 per annum. This is the largest house of the kind in the Northwest, outside of Chicago, and Mr. Salzer also owns seed farms where he grows seeds for his large seed trade in St. Vincent, Minnesota, and Bath and Groton, Dakota, also has control of a small seed farm for growing celery, lettuce and beet seeds near Sacramento, California. Handsome and complete catalogues of plants and seeds have been prepared by Mr. Salzer, which can be obtained upon application, German or English edition as desired. Since 1881 the business has been largely increased owing to the liberal use of printer's ink. The high estimation in which this house is held has been secured by the enterprise and liberality of the proprietor and the superior excellence of the plants and seeds sold by him as well as the skill and exquisite taste displayed in the arrangement of cut flowers in various novel and unique designs." 
1884 - In this year, he purchased a family cottage in Minnesota that he named "Ferndale." He and his family may have camped at that site in Minnesota for some years before he purchased Ferndale as a summer camping ground and retreat. Many guests also came to visit and the primitive cabin was improved upon each year. 
1886 - The company is incorporated.  
1892 - On January 22, John A. Salzer dies at 68 years and 25 days and is interned at the Oak Grove Cemetery in La Crosse, Wisconsin. 
1892 - Henry Salzer, son of John, takes over the seed company and runs it until his death in 1917. 
1919 - First service of what was to become the La Crosse Municipal Airport began on November 29, on leased land that was was once a Salzer Seed Company cornfield. Service was abandoned in 1922 but resumed in 1928 at which time the city council voted to purchase the land. 
1920 - As early as 1920, they claimed they were the largest mail-order seed house in America. 
1922 - The company was printing and distributing 1,000,000 catalogs per year. 
1945 - The family sold the business. 
1958 - The company closed. 

Friday, April 21, 2017

1899 J. Steckler Seed Catalog for the Southern States

1899 J. Steckler Seed Catalog for the Southern States J. Steckler Seed Co. Catalog from New Orleans, LA.  Richard Frotscher was born in Germany in 1833, arrived in the USA by 1860 census in New Orleans, where he lived with his wife Emily Schwalm and their 6 daughters until his death in 1896. "Joseph Steckler, vice president and manager of the J. Steckler Seed Co., Ltd., of New Orleans, was born February 18, 1870, in New Iberia, LA. When quite young he went to New Orleans where he grew up and received his early business training in the seed establishment of his uncle, the late Richard Frotscher. When only 17 years of age Joseph became the business manager of the Gravier Street Seed Store, and so remained until 1896. In that year occurred his uncle's death, and at that time the J. Steckler Seed Co., Ltd., was organized with the following officers: Miss Mary T. Frotscher, president; Joseph Steckler, vice president and manager, and Richard P. Steckler, secretary-treasurer. While starting with only a part of their predecessor's business, the present company has grown to be one of the largest of its kind in the south. They have maintained a reputation of supplying only the best, being both growers and importers. Mr. Steckler is prominently associated with all that pertains to the trade. Only recently he has accepted the appointment as treasurer of the Interstate Horticultural Society. He was formerly president of the New Orleans Horticultural Society, and is a member of the Gardeners' Mutual Protective Association, American Seed Trade Association, and a commissioner of the City Park and Improvement Association." American Florist, Volume 26. Associated Floral Publishing Company, 1906.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

1898 Cole's Seed Catalog from Pella, Iowa

1898 Cole's Seed Catalog from Pella, Iowa.  

Aart Kool (1814-1892) married Heiltje-Hendrika "Henrietta" de Booy (1824-1901) in Pella, Iowa in 1848. Kool arrived in Pella, Iowa in 1847, with a group of Dutch emmigrants who moved to North America because of discontent over religious and economic matters. Aart KOOL, who farmed near Pella, anglicized the family name to Cole. The couple had a son Charles Nicholas Cole (1848-1947) who gained a reputation as a seedsman in Chicago working for the Vaughn Seed Company & then to New York & to Memphis to work for 2 more seed compamies. In 1870, he returned to Pella to establish Cole's Seeds with his wife Etta Kruger Cole (1856-1953). He was joined by his brothers & the business was called Cole Bros Seed Company for several years.

Monday, April 17, 2017

1898 John Bauscher's II Vegetable Seed & Plant Guide from Freeport, Illinois

1898 John Bauscher's II Vegetable Seed & Plant Guide from Freeport, Illinois. Bauschers Floral Shop & GreenhouseThe Florist Business in Freeport was pioneered by John Bauscher Sr. in the year of 1868. Mr. Bauscher came to the United States from France. He started out with a couple small greenhouses in which he raised and sold plants and cut flowers. In the late 1870's his son John Bauscher Jr. entered the flower business with his father, and they in turn kept on expanding the green houses until they had over 100,000 square feet of glass and a total of 15 greenhouses. Some of the greenhouses were 320 feet long. By this time, the Bauschers were in the wholesale as well as the retail flower business. The retail store being located at 20 South Chicago Ave. John Bauscher Sr. passed away in the early 1900's, and the business was then owned and operated by his son John Bauscher Jr., who in turn had 5 sons of his own who all joined with their father in the Florist Business. Their names being Arthur, George, Lester, Clarence C. & John J. In 1920, John Bauscher Jr. passed away and the business was then owned & operated by his five sons and was known as Bauscher Bros. Flower Market Inc. until 1939. By this time Arthur, George & Lester Bauscher had passed away and the business was being carried on by Clarence C. & John J. Bauscher, the remaining brothers. So they decided to dissolve the corporation, & this is when Robert J. Bauscher, the son of Clarence C., joined into the florist business with his father. They continued to operate the downtown retail business known as the C. C. Bauscher Floral Shop. Clarence C. Bauscher passed away in 1950, & the business was then taken over by his son Robert J. Bauscher as sole owner at 18 South Chicago Ave. in downtown Freeport. Robert J. Bauscher being the great-grandson of the founder John Bauscher Sr. The 100th Anniversary of the business was celebrated in 1968 with a total of 4 generations of florists in the same family. Written by Robert J. Bauscher - June 15, 1970

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Louisiana Vegetable, Flower, & Field Seed Catalog

Richard Frotscher, seedsman, horticulturist, was born in Leipzig, Saxony, March 15, 1833. He died February 2, 1896. He was trained specially in botany by his grandfather. In 1850, after one of the numerous democratic uprisings among the youth of Germany, he was fled to America. He spent some time in Pennsylvania, & shortly after the Civil War, went to New Orleans, where he became a seedsman & horticulturalist & did much to improve agriculture in the American South. Under his care, certain varieties of southern vegetables were improved. Among his many introductions are the New Orleans Market Cucumber, New Orleans Market Melon, New Orleans Market Eggplant, Frotscher's Superior Large Late Flat Dutch Cabbage, Best-of-all Beans, Southern Willow-Leaved Sewee or Butter Pole Beans, Frotscher's Three-quarter Red Blood Turnip Beet, Frotscher's New Orleans Improved Large Passion Lettuce, Frotscher's Lone Star Watermelon, & Louisiana or Creole Onion. His introductions were numerous in fruit & shade trees & in flower & grass seeds. Systematic pecan-culture was begun by Richard Frotscher. The 3 varieties that he started to propagate & named, & which are recognized standards, are the Frotscher's Egg Shell, Rome & Centennial. 

Thursday, April 13, 2017

W.W. Barnard Co.Chicago Fruit & Vegetable Catalog

W.W. Barnard Co., 231-235 W Madison St, Chicago, Illinois 

William Wilcox Barnard (1856-1921), son of William Barnard II, founded & operated the W. W. Barnard Seed Co. in the late 1800s. The company was taken over by Ralph Howe, when William W. Barnard moved to California for his health where died in 1921. Ralph Barnard Howe, born in 1882, held a degree in agriculture from the University of Illinois. But the company did not survive the depression years. 

After graduating from Amherst College in 1845, William Barnard II headed west to homestead. He intended to settle in Iowa, but stopped in Chicago where he met Thomas Morgan who owned several thousand acres of land south of Chicago (now known as Morgan Park) Morgan convinced William Barnard II to settle near Chicago.  In 1846, William Barnard II's parents & siblings joined him in Chicago to farm in the area that is now 49th Street & Vincennes Road. William Barnard II married Miranda Wilcox in 1852, & they had 4 children, Alice Sarah (1854), Mary Elizabeth (1855), William Wilcox (1856), & Emma Jerusha. (1859). William Barnard II eventually bought 160 acres in Longwood & built a home for his family at 101st & Longwood Drive.  William Wilcox Barnard's grandparents Alice Emerson & William Barnard also came to Chicago from the Amherst, Massachusetts area. Barnard was a practicing physician for a time. Alice Emerson & William Barnard were married in 1819 & had 5 children, William Barnard II (1821), Elizabeth (1823), Daniel Emerson (1826), Alice Lucretia (1829), & Erastus Ames (1833).

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

W.W. Barnard Co.Chicago Vegetable Seed Catalog

W.W. Barnard Co., 231-235 W Madison St, Chicago, Illinois 

William Wilcox Barnard (1856-1921), son of William Barnard II, founded & operated the W. W. Barnard Seed Co. in the late 1800s. The company was taken over by Ralph Howe, when William W. Barnard moved to California for his health where died in 1921. Ralph Barnard Howe, born in 1882, held a degree in agriculture from the University of Illinois. But the company did not survive the depression years. After graduating from Amherst Collge in 1845, William Barnard II headed west to homestead. He intended to settle in Iowa, but stopped in Chicago where he met Thomas Morgan who owned several thousand acres of land south of Chicago (now known as Morgan Park) Morgan convinced William Barnard II to settle near Chicago. In 1846, William Barnard II's parents & siblings joined him in Chicago to farm in the area that is now 49th Street & Vincennes Road. William Barnard II married Miranda Wilcox in 1852, & they had 4 children, Alice Sarah (1854), Mary Elizabeth (1855), William Wilcox (1856), & Emma Jerusha. (1859). William Barnard II eventually bought 160 acres in Longwood & built a home for his family at 101st & Longwood Drive. William Wilcox Barnard's grandparents Alice Emerson & William Barnard also came to Chicago from the Amherst, Massachusetts area. Barnard was a practicing physician for a time. Alice Emerson & William Barnard were married in 1819 & had 5 children, William Barnard II (1821), Elizabeth (1823), Daniel Emerson (1826), Alice Lucretia (1829), & Erastus Ames (1833). 

Sunday, April 9, 2017

1889 Philadelphia Seed Catalog - from lumber company to seed store

Henry Maule was born on April 14, 1828 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. & died in 1902. He took over the Philadelphia lumber company established by his father Caleb Maul (1790-1844). Henry's son William Henry Maule (1858-1913), took control of his grandfather's & father’s lumber & seed company in 1882, after partnering with his father for several years. When the father/son seed business originally began in 1877, it originally catered to market gardeners & farmers who supplied local consumers with their fresh vegetables. The world of seed publishing was fascinating to the young businessman & much of his energy went into expanding the seed & bulb end of the business, handing off the lumber-related duties to his brother Charles Price Maule (1856-1920). In 1885, W H Maule came up with the idea of publishing a colorful, beautifully illustrated catalog to showcase the vast variety & quality of his products. In 1889, Maule took it to the next level. Instead of appealing to the distribution of his product to dealers, he would target the common independent farmer, the gardening hobbyist, & anyone who had a mailbox could now become a potential lifelong customer. To entice the general public, Maule would include a packet of free samples with every catalog & offer cash prizes for the largest orders. William Henry Maule Co.'s catalogs often featured farm & field scenes. This idea skyrocketed the seed company into nationwide fame. Maule’s Seeds (later called the William Henry Maule Company) was the 1st in Philadelphia to use this business model & helped make the city into the seed capital of America, causing the spawn of at least a dozen similar outfits. (The Landreth Seed Company was the 1st large seed distributor, having set up shop at 12th & Market in 1784; Burpee Seeds, Maule’s contemporary & competitor, was founded in 1876.) By the time his father died in 1902, William Henry Maule had 560,000 regular customers, distributed over 5 million seed catalogs, given away more than 3 million seed packets, & awarded $30,000 in cash prizes. Over that time, the company had moved to larger & larger quarters. From a rented space on the Delaware riverfront in the 1880s, to a cast iron beauty at 1711 Filbert in the early 1890s, to a 7-story modern office building at 18th & Market at the turn of the 20th Century. The 18th & Market warehouse was named “Maule Building.” Maule eventually set his sights on building a much larger headquarters that would end the need to move every decade. In 1909, Maule acquired a string of properties on the 2100 block of Arch Street & spent the next few years working on what he hoped would be the William Henry Maule Company’s final home. This new $100,000 headquarters would not only house the company’s offices but also warehouse the immense variety of seeds, bulbs, & plants the Maule Company distributed across the country. It would have a footprint measuring 60′ x 111’8″ & rise 8 stories. Construction began in 1912 & was completed by the end of 1913. The building was quite prominent on the skyline at the time, as few other buildings in the immediate area matched its height. On September 6th, 1913, around the same time the new building was about to open, the 55-year-old William Henry Maule died from what was then known as a “stroke of apoplexy,” a term used at the time to describe any number of afflictions that appeared to cause sudden death. Once opened, the new Maule Building would continue William Henry Maule’s business model. New catalogs were published every year for the next 3 decades. Unfortunately, William Henry Maule’s dream of the entire operation running out of this one building didn’t last. By the end of the 1920s, the Maule Company moved out of the Maule Building & leased office & warehouse space at the Nicetown home of the W. A. Burpee Company, a competitor whose progenitor, W. Atlee Burpee, had partnered with William Henry Maule’s father, when the Maule Lumber Company 1st expanded to include seeds. Burpee had already surpassed the Maule Company’s success in 1915. In 1946, the Maule Company sold 2100 Arch Street for $145,000 & used the money to purchase a new office/warehouse in Clinton, Iowa, creating a second distribution point for all deliveries west of Ohio. Despite this major expansion, the company didn’t last. In 1947, the Maule Company merged with the W.A. Burpee Company, with whom they had already been collaborating for about a decade.

Friday, April 7, 2017

1896 Kansas Seed & Plant Catalog began with selling seeds in the founder's bakery

The Kansas Seed Company, operated by Frederick W. Barteldes, both grew & imported seed which it then marketed throughout the plains states. Along with a traveling sales force, the business operated 3 seed stores, one in Lawrence, Kansas; one in Oklahoma City; & another in Denver, Colorado. Born in Germany in 1852, Barteldes died in Lawrence Kansas in 1933. In 1875, Barteldes established the The Kansas Seed Company, building on a concept started by an uncle. In 1867, his uncle Friedo Barteldes, the proprietor of a small bakery on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence, decided to add a new line to his business. He bought a few large sacks of garden seeds; and, in his spare time, weighed them out into smaller lots & put them in small paper sacks which he displayed to one side of his bakery's bread counter. The founder's nephew, F.W. Barteldes, came to the firm from Germany in 1874. In 1880, nephew Barteldes purchased a building he called the Kansas Seed House in Lawrence. The business thrived there until 1962, when it moved to Denver. His sons, Otto & Friedo, operated the business for years.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

1896 Spring Seed & Plant Catalog selling Fall Results

State and local fairs with their produce competitions were very popular at the turn of the century.  Jesse Buckbee was born in Orange County, New York in 1796. He was the son of a Revolutionary soldier who was descended from John Buckbee, an Englishman who settled on Manhattan Island in the 17C. In 1845, Jesse Buckbee moved West to purchase 300 acres of land in Winnebago County, Illinois & relocate his family. He died shortly thereafter, but was survived by his wife & children. Among his children was Theodore who had sons  Hiram W. & John T. who would later operate H.W. Buckbee Seed Farms & Forest City Greenhouses. Hiram W. Buckbee, born in 1860, began selling cabbage plants as a boy in 1871. From there Hiram expanded the business into a huge operation that included a 350,000-square-foot warehouse, greenhouse complex, & trial area, along with a 15,000-acre seed farm. An 1892 biography of Jesse Buckbee (Hiram’s grandfather) noted that this “immense seed business conducted under the name of H. W. Buckbee, with its collateral branches, Rockford Seed Farms & Forest City greenhouses, is one of the most important merchandising institutions, not only of Rockford, but of IL, & for that matter, of the U.S.” In 1921, the year of Hiram’s death, his company mailed out 750,000 catalogues. In addition to Buckbee, Rockford was home to 3 other prominent mail order seed & plant wholesalers: Roland H. Shumway, Alneer Brothers, & Condon Brothers. The 4 businesses would later merge under the name of Condon-Shumway, a company that stayed in business until the 1970s.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

1898 H W Buckbee Plant Catalog of Rockford, IL - Design your Grounds to Impress your Neighbors!

1898 H W Buckbee Plant Catalog of Rockford, IL - Design your Grounds to Impress your neighbors! Obviously, how you design the gardens around your home is still meant to impress those passing by just as it was in early America. Some things change, some do not. Jesse Buckbee was born in Orange County, New York in 1796. He was the son of a Revolutionary soldier who was descended from John Buckbee, an Englishman who settled on Manhattan Island in the 17C. In 1845, Jesse Buckbee moved West to purchase 300 acres of land in Winnebago County, Illinois & relocate his family. He died shortly thereafter, but was survived by his wife & children. Among his children was Theodore who had sons  Hiram W. & John T. who would later establish H.W. Buckbee Seed Farms & Forest City Greenhouses. Hiram W. Buckbee, born in 1860, began selling cabbage plants as a boy in 1871. From there Hiram expanded his business into a huge operation that included a 350,000-square-foot warehouse, greenhouse complex, & trial area, along with a 15,000-acre seed farm. An 1892 biography of Jesse Buckbee (Hiram’s grandfather) noted that this “immense seed business conducted under the name of H. W. Buckbee, with its collateral branches, Rockford Seed Farms & Forest City greenhouses, is one of the most important merchandising institutions, not only of Rockford, but of IL, & for that matter, of the U.S.” In 1921, the year of Hiram’s death, his company mailed out 750,000 catalogues. In addition to Buckbee, Rockford was home to 3 other prominent mail order seed & plant wholesalers: Roland H. Shumway, Alneer Brothers, & Condon Brothers. The 4 businesses would later merge under the name of Condon-Shumway, a company that stayed in business until the 1970s.